top of page

Who to call in an emergency?

Call 999 in case of an emergency. We have provided other emergency numbers but 999 is the first point of call.

National Domestic

Violence Helpline:

0808 2000 247

Freephone 24 Hour

Rape Crisis Helplines

National Freephone Helpline

0808 802 9999

12-2.30 and 7-9.30 Every day of the year


Refuge Crisis Line (London wide): 0870 599 5443


BAWSO (For Black women in Wales who are victims of domestic abuse)

24h helpline: 0800 7318 147


Victim Support: call 0801689111


Shelter: for housing advice 0808 800 4444


Samaritans: 08457 909 090 - The Samaritans are a nationwide charity which provides 24-hour confidential emotional support for anyone in crisis


National Child Protection Helpline (NSPCC): 0800 800 5000 - This is a free confidential service for anyone concerned abut children at risk, including children themselves. The service offers counselling, information and advice.


Forced Marriage Unit (FMU): Foreign Commonwealth Office Advice on Forced Marriages 020 7008 0151


Organizations that Help to  Protect Young Women against  FGM (Female Genitals Mutation)


CAME Women and Girls Development Organization -   02085785265  Email: CAME Women and Girls Development Foundation help to protect young women against breast ironing.

FORWARD (Foundation for Women's Health Research and Development)

If you, or someone you know, is at risk of FGM or has been affected by FGM  you can contact them on the number below. Open times: Monday to Friday from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm.

Ring +44 (0)208 960 4000, extension 1
Ring +44 (0)7834 168 141

999 – The main emergency number


This is the emergency number for police, ambulance, fire brigade, coastguard etc. Calls are free, and 999 can be dialled from a locked mobile phone.


112 : Another emergency number

This operates exactly the same as 999 and directs you to exactly the same emergency call centre. 


The important thing about 112 is that it will work on a mobile phone anywhere in the world. So on your next foreign holiday, you don’t need to make a note of the emergency number for the country you visit; you just need 112. 


Calls are free and 112 can also be dialled from locked mobile phone.


101 – The non-emergency number for the police

Use 101 when you want to contact the police, but it’s not an emergency – i.e. an immediate response is not necessary and/or will not be serve any purpose.

bottom of page